Where is South Park Mall?
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -
At least four people were taken to the hospital and a Charlotte mall was evacuated Thursday night after a Hazmat situation possibly involving Carbon Monoxide, according to Charlotte firefighters.
The incident around 8:30 p.m. at Southpark Mall on the 4400 block of Sharon Road. According to officials, firefighters found high levels of carbon monoxide inside the mall and evacuated the property.
Charlotte Fire tells WBTV it took 40 firefighters to get the situation under control.
Medic said four people were taken from the scene to an area hospital. Their names and conditions have not been released.
WBTV was at the scene where multiple emergency vehicles were parked outside the food court, near Dick's Sporting Goods. Sirens could be heard going off inside the mall.
Construction is going on inside the mall.
"Last night’s incident took place in a retailer space under construction and was a result of construction workers not properly ventilating the space, " mall officials told WBTV Friday morning. "SouthPark mall management and security worked closely with the Charlotte Fire Department to take the appropriate measures to help ensure the safety of those individuals in the mall."